Saturday, October 26, 2013

This is men's world...

Well, actually, it's not! At least when it comes to jewelry.

I was thinking about it the other day while I was trying to sort pictures into albums on my Facebook and Google+ pages. I had some doubts with cathegorizing men's jewelry as such, because I can clearly see those pieces on women as well. And that picture looks good. So, is all men's jewelry actually unisex?

I have several pieces that I think of as men's jewelry. At least I did in the moment of their creation. But by the time they were done, I realised it's something I would wear too.

Stretchy Copper, boys or girls?
It's kinda logical because, hey, I make those. I have some picture of them in my mind before I start. During the process I put them against my wrist to see how they look, I try them on to check how the weave behaves, to estimate the length etc. I wear prototypes for a few hours or a day to examine if everything is OK under normal usage conditions. Then I take pictures, I model them to show how they look on the wrist... So I finish the process with unisex piece of jewelry instead of men's, if you get me.


Ok, this one is maybe too chunky
for my whrist...
For example, I love these stretchies, I even made the brass one for myself and I wear it regularly. Before them, there were some copper bracelets and mixed metal bracelets. Strong, simple, macho... until I put them on. Magically, they turn into a bit chunky but feminine piece of jewelry.

This magic works even with my chainmaille neckties, the ultimate men's accessory I have. I love men who love chainmail ties and are ready to wear them. My modern knights. But when I finished the one below, I put it around my neck and took a picture of myself in the mirror to send a mms to my girl friend. Then there was 'wow, let's see how it looks on a silk dress!', 'wow, and how about black tight top?', etc. Pictures were flying from phone to phone and two girls messed everything up. I still love my chainmaille knights, though. And I restrained myself from modelling the tie for my shop pictures. No real man would ever buy that.

So, talking about dilema from the beginning, I resolved it by defining a category as 'Chainmaille for him (that girls can borrow to wear)'. So far, so good.

Honey, your tie is just perfect for
my corset!
But I wonder, is there a men's jewelry or it's all unisex? Or is it just me, overrelating with my trinkets? Do you borrow your man's stuff? And turn them into something unrecognizable feminine?

<3




No comments:

Post a Comment